10 to 12-night Fez, Desert Camp, Marrakech package
Combining two Imperial Cities, the Atlas Mountains and the desert, this is a trip that offers huge variety.
Four nights in Fez, three nights at the desert camp, one night at a guesthouse and three nights in Marrakech.
Costs from 2000 euro per person (based on 2 people sharing and 11 nights) and includes:
- 4 nights at Riad Laaroussa in Fez.
- 3 nights at Desert Camp.
- 1 night at Kasbah Ellouze near Aït Bennhadou.
- 3 nights at a Riad Adore in Marrakech.
- Transfer from Casablanca airport to Fez.
- Flight from Fez to Zagora.
- 5 days of transport in a 4WD Land Cruiser with driver.
At the desert camp all meals; drinks and guided excursion by camel are included. In Marrakech and Fez breakfast is included. At Kasbah Ellouze breakfast and dinner are included. Voila!
The recommended 11-day trip provides enough time to relax and enjoy. However, it can be lengthened or shortened, in accordance with your preferences.
The itinerary below is only a guide as to what can be done. There are many different ways in which the trip can be organised, and it does not have to start in Casablanca. You can hence commence your trip Marrakech or Fez.
|Day 1||Arrive in Casablanca. It is 4 hours from Casablanca to Fez. You can also choose to spend the first night at the beachfront in Casablanca.|
|Days 2–5||Stay at Riad Laaroussa in Fez. This exquisite riad has 8 bedrooms and is perfectly located in the ancient medina.|
|Day 5||Take early morning flight from Fez to Zagora. Arriving at 1030, it is then 3 hours to the desert camp. The flight only operates on Mondays and Thursdays.|
|Days 5–7||Stay at Erg Chigaga Luxury Desert Camp. Enjoy 3 nights at the camp.|
|Day 8||Stay at Kasbah Ellouze near the UNESCO heritage Ksar of Aït Benhaddou. Depart camp after breakfast for the gloriously empty route out of the desert via Foum Zguid, driving through sand, dried out lakes and rocks. That takes 3 hours. It is then a further 3 hours to Kasbah Ellouze via the Berber carpet-making town of Taznakht|
|Days 9–11||Next stop Marrakech. It is 3-hour trip to Marrakech via the awe inspiring Ounila Valley, the Kasbah of Telouet and the Tizi n’Tichka pass which goes over the High Atlas Mountains. In Marrakech there are hundreds of riads to choose from. Our recommended ones are the excellent Riad Adore or Riad 38 at TM nights, and at the top-end, Riad Farnatchi and Villa des Orangers. You can also choose to stay a few nights at our charming and quiet villa outside Marrakech.|
Here is some more information, which you might find useful when planning your trip!
- Instead of taking the flight from Fez to Zagora you can choose to drive instead. It takes 15 hours from Fez to the desert camp, spread over two days with a stay at the Todra Gorge. There is some gorgeous scenery en route, especially the section before the Todra Gorge.
- If you have time you can combine a trip to the coast and Essaouira as part of the package. You need an extra two days for this.
- The journey is half the fun - so, whilst your driver will suggest where to stop the pace of the trip and places to stop are ultimately decided by you. Whilst your driver is not an official guide, they are knowledgeable and play a highly important role in the enjoyment of your trip.
- Some guests like to have guides in Fez and Marrakech. This is best organised through the riad in which you are staying. We can also organise this for you, as either a half-day or full day.
- After a long flight you might choose to overnight in Casablanca rather than head directly to Fez. Casablanca is a bit of a sprawl, but it has its own unique character and vibrancy.
- From Fez a day trip to the Roman ruins at Volubilis, the imperial city of Meknes and Moulay Idriss is highly recommended.